Monday, October 27, 2008

Discovering Mauritanie

Over the last 25 years I have dreamed of Africa. Of course, I would love to see the plains of the Serengeti and all the wildlife that inhabits that part of the continent. But there is so much more to Africa. Africa: the word alone conjurs up images that do not vaporize once the traveler has returned home. I dream....of the sights, the sounds, the smells and the tastes of Africa.

Yet the sights of Africa are only one part of the dream. For the last 25 years I have dreamt of visiting my brother, Paul. Vicariously I have visited him through the lives of others: my husband, my other brother, my daughter, my friend Ruth. I've seen the pictures and heard the stories. I've watched videos with the sounds of the people who reside in such a unique part of the world.

Two of my favorite television shows are 'Anthony Bourdain's - No Reservations' and 'Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.' These two men discover the world through regional foods. I have always hoped to have a similar adventure. To discover the passions and culture of a people through the food they prepare - for sustanance and festival.

Last week I purchased an airplane ticket to visit my brother in Nouakchott.

Remember my friend, Ruth? She and I will be traveling together. Our destination: Equinoxe Centre.

This blog will be a journal of the journey.

I regret that you will only witness the sights through pictures and words. If you want to get the full course, you'll have to make a reservation for yourself.

In the meantime, come along for the ride. Live vicariously through me. I welcome the company.

No comments: